Today I will be addressing a topic that worries me a lot and that I think it should actually concern EVERYONE: Sustainability.

Today we live in an increasingly polluted and profit-at-all-costs world. With exhausted natural resources and tons of plastic filling our oceans, lakes, and rivers, sustainability is now more important than ever! In this post, I attempt to give you a few easy steps to a more sustainable lifestyle.

I am a true believer that with small actions we can all make a difference and making sustainable choices in our every day activities is yet so easy. However, we seem to turn our head around it and go on with our old, bad habits. 

In these steps below, I am showing you that it is easier than you imagine to make eco-conscious choices and as a result reduce our foot print on the planet.

 

1.Start applying the 3 Rs – Reduce, Reuse, Recycle.

Do it in that specific order: buy less, try to reuse as much as you can what you already have and adopt the habit of recycling. 

2.Bring your own reusable bag to the supermarket

Think of how you are contributing to the about 8 million metric tons of plastic that are thrown into the ocean annually by getting a new plastic bag every time you go groceries shopping! There is a vast offer of long lasting reusable bags like this one. Get a few of them and make the habit to bring them with you every time you go shopping.

3.Buy local and shop at farmers markets

Have you noticed how (almost) everything in the supermarket comes in plastic containers or wrappers. I find that very unnecessary and I prefer to invest the time to get my fruits and veggies from local and seasonal markets where foods have not been pre-packed and the the impact created in transporting the goods is a lot less as well. Plus, it is a lot of fun! Make it a morning out, invite a friend, talk to the vendors. Way better than standing in line at the supermarket.

Sustainable shopping amsterdam

4.Stop buying takeaway coffee

I know this one is tough for all the coffee drinkers, including myself. But many disposable coffee cups are often not recyclable due to the plastic coating to make them waterproof (even if they say they are). If you know that you can’t wait till you get to the office for your first (or third) cup of coffee, consider investing in a reusable cup like this one. At the beginning it may seem a burden to carry your own cup around, but you will get used to it.

5.Stop buying bottled water.

Did you know that the average time for a plastic bottle to completely degrade is at least 450 years. It can even take some bottles 1000 years to biodegrade! Really guys, plastic bottles are not cool. To satisfy your thirst, invest instead in a nice reusable bottle. I got mine from chilly’s bottles. I love their designs! And they can keep both cold and hot drinks for hours. 

6.Turn off all your gadgets and lights, if you are not using them.

As simply as that, just push the off button! if you are leaving your computer, TV, Radio, wash machine, etc. on while they are not being used, that is a waste. And, unplug your devices if they don’t need energy while they are off. For instance, your phone charger should’t be left plugged in the whole day. It is a fact that only 5% of the power drawn by a phone charger is used to charge the phone. The other 95% is wasted when it is left plugged in!

7.Wash your clothes at 30 degrees or less.

Yes, the majority of your clothes don’t need to be washed at 60 or even 90 degrees to come out clean. I know your mom and grandma may have a different opinion, but you can convince them that washing at a lowest temperature helps you to cut CO2 emissions, save energy and money. Win, Win!

 

 

8.Sharing is caring! 

As I said before, our collective actions can make a huge impact, and sharing and helping educate others and leading by example it is the best way to get more and more people involved to reduce the negative impact we are causing to our planet.

Lets commit to protect our environment and to create a more sustainable future!

Are you in? Do you have any other eco-tips?

 

Sources:

The story of bottled water.
Global citizen